Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Love "Snack" Baby!






Hello.
My name is Evan... and I'm a snacker.

Most likely, you are in the same boat as I've been in. I just HAVE to snack. I've tried all the tricks trying to keep from it. I tried just snacking on celery (yuck), I've tried to whole, "I'm not going to eat ANYTHING after 7pm (yeah right), and even tried going to bed early to try and curb the craving. The problem is, I've had 32 years of snacking... I'm not willing to give it ALL up right?!

In the wake of this realization, I've discovered a few gems that I've turned to. One thing you have to remember is my idea of a snack 6 months ago was a king size snickers bar, big bowl (I mean big!) of ice cream, a bag of chips, or whatever happened to be on the roller cookers at the local quick stop (sorry QT). Now that you know this, you'll understand that if I was going to try and create some kind of healthy snack, they were going to good.

These are a list and description of some of my favorites, if you come up with your own, post them!

1. Iced Triple Leaf Detox Tea with Ginger Honey Crystals.

3-4 bags of tea (Akins for about $5, or Nam-Hai for about 3$)
3 cups of bowling water
2 packets of Ginger Honey Crystals (also from Nam-Hai, and Asian Market in T-Town)
3 heaping tbls of Steviea
3-4 cups ice
2 cups crushed ice for you to enjoy

This is a great drink. When I first started to eat better I began a detox and this was one of the things I was suppose to drink every night before I went to bed. I did and it worked its magic, but I got board with it. I added the ginger/honey crystals and stevia to add a kick and THEN did the ice. I now drink about 2 glasses of it a day and REALLY enjoy it. You will too.

2. My next favorite is SO simple, I can't believe I didn't think of it before.

1 small cup of your favorite frozen fruit, (no sugars of preservatives added)
pour a small amount of vanilla coconut milk over it. (Silk makes a great one!)
add a few "Food Should Taste Good" chocolate crisps on the side and presto!

You can find more on these wonderful snack crackers at www.foodshouldtastegood.com, on the site you can print off a dollar off coupon. I LOVE the cheddar ones, but remember... moderation. They have all good ingredient and most have some flax and no gluten.

3. My last one for this post is a good one. Its not so much a special snack, its just making a better choice.

In Tulsa, OK we have a wonderful line of Quick Trip stores that stock tons of coffee, soda, hot dogs, taquitos, burgers, ice scream, taquitos, corn dogs, taquitos, smokes, beer, did I mention that they also carry taquitos? Do you see a pattern here?

Most people would say, "Hey, I don't eat that stuff, I get the slimflast or the energy bars... BIG MISTAKE! The processed foods and "added" fibers and sugars to those "glorified candy bars" will not help you. Yes, they are a better choice, but its like saying your going to give up skydiving for bungee jumping.

My choice I make is:
wonderful crushed ice
a 16oz bottle of crystal light
an apple, or a cup of carrots (dump any "sauce")
and my guilty pleasure, 1 little tootsie roll.

The apple is not organic, but it will do. The Crystal Light has splenda or aspartame (not good), but it will do, the carrots will have been hosed with preservatives, but they will do too. If you want to be perfect, don't follow my blog. Also, remember, this is NOT something to do everyday. This is something I do maybe once every week or two. Like in all things in life, moderation is key.

Well It think that about wraps this post up! Let me know your little snacks that you do by sharing them with us all! Got a easy cheat? Do share!

One last note, I do have to give a shout out to Healthsource of Tulsa for being my driving force to losing weight and just getting healthier over all. You can read about my experience there so far by doing a copy and paste of the following:

http://healthsourcetulsa.com/custom_content/c_177357_tulsa_weight_loss.html

If it was not for them, I would not be here. Wonderful group of folks who make your health their priority.


Thanks all! Hope to hear from you soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment